A typical higher education institute maintains diverse technology landscapes such as a variety of applications, educational systems, and cloud applications. These technologies that support teaching, research, and administration processes require an effective IT governance framework. In this article at EdTech Magazine, Eli Zimmerman discusses some governance best practices that will help the IT leaders navigate their way through a coherent IT governance plan.
Ways to Organize IT Governance in Higher Education Institutes
Structuring IT governance in higher education institutes is dependent on various factors such as institution size, the composition of IT operations across the institutions, hierarchical structure, and institutional culture. When designing your IT governance model, ensure that it fits the way your education system functions, and its culture and values. Before implementing the IT governance into your system, explore how other organizations have organized and documented their IT governance organizations. Additionally, you must:
- Define the organization’s IT goals, priorities, and strategies
- Develop policies to manage IT and technology acquisition, usage, and risk
- Create processes that can be repeated for governing all IT resource decisions
Key Success Factors for Organizing IT Governance
“When it comes to IT governance, IT leaders must take all members of the campus ecosystem into account,” says Eli. Building a successful governance model through a collaborative campus effort helps in addressing the current and desired state of technology for the campus. There are many different models and approaches to IT governance. No matter how you organize the governance function, here are some critical success factors that you must follow.
- IT governance must represent stakeholders from all communities across the institution – staff and administrators, students and faculty
- IT governance must receive support from the campus hierarchy
- The roles and responsibilities of the IT governance committees must be well-defined and clear
If you are interested to know more about IT governance best practices for higher education in detail, click on https://edtechmagazine.com/higher/article/2018/10/experts-weigh-it-governance-best-practices.